The former Tooley Street fire station built in Victorian Gothic Revival style in 1879 is listed Grade II, and was in use until the late 1920s. Keith Williams Architects carried out the complete restoration of the main facade, building fabric and roof, re-building the demolished upper storey of the original Watch Tower and chimney, re-instating the lost windows to the base of the Watch Tower and adding of a series of new wings of contemporary design.
The new elements are expressed very clearly in a metallic anodised aluminium panel system composed in a pared down simple manner to create a deliberate counterpoint to the ornate decorative qualities of the 19th century architecture which, despite the building’s original utilitarian purpose, was nevertheless celebrated as an important neo-gothic public building.
Client : LB2 Ltd London
Budget : Confidential
Area : 1,875m2